I’d say the experiment was inconclusive; it doesn’t sound much different than the other BPs I’ve made. I’ll try again sometime and do things different.
But here’s the final round of pictures, anyway.
Drilling pin holes and adding markers. C’s and F’s are marked.
Put the pins in:
The hitch pins have grooves cut on the ends, to keep the strings where they’re supposed to be, like so:
And they all need to be facing the right way, obviously.
I’ve used loop end strings before, but ball end are so much easier to work with, it’s worth the extra $. There’s 144 strings here, but I’ll only use 25, if I don’t break any.
The first string. Rinse and repeat, 24 times.
The finished instrument. Stringing can be a real pain. I think it took me about a half an hour. But I didn’t break any.
Here’s a couple sound clips. In the first clip, I play with an old psaltery, then the new one. Second clip, just the new one.