What’s new here.

Not much, actually.  I guess I’ve just been busy doing normal, hum drum stuff, so I haven’t been inspired to post anything.  I have about a dozen knives, two ukuleles, two psalteries, and one guitar in progress.  Plus a violin.  All that’s keeping me pretty much out of trouble.

One thing I’d like to mention though, is a project that’s going on at the luthiers forum I’m a member of.  It called the “$150 Challenge”.  The rules are to make any instrument you want, using materials that are as local to you as possible, keeping the total cost under $150.  And it has to be done by the end of May.  Also, each participant has to post a thread documenting their process.

Piece of cake.

I decided to make an archtop steel string ukulele.  I went to my local sawyer and got some eastern red cedar for the top, catalpa for the neck, and walnut for the back.  I got some pine, but ended up not using it for this.  I’ll use it for some ukuleles.  The walnut for the sides were given to me by another luthier who lives not far away.  I’m using osage orange for the fingerboard and binding.

So, everything grew within 20 miles of my house.

I started this back in January, so I have lot’s of posts to copy here.

First installment:
Cedar:
Image

Pine:
Image

Catalpa:
Image
The pieces for the top:
Image

After planing and jointing:
Image

Gluing together:
Image

 

In other news, I sold a bowed psaltery on Etsy.  Yay!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s