Hammer dulcimer, Part 2

The sound board.  I’m using some western red cedar that I got from a lumber yard here in town.  It started out as an 8″X8″ fence post.  I cut it down to 48″ long, wasting some knots in the process:

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-37.jpg

 

Then I ran it through my planer to clean it up:

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-38.jpg

 

I normally use my 14″ bandsaw to resaw this sort of thing, but I don’t have any sharp blades for it right now, so I used the table saw.  Was not fun, but it did the job.  Had to cut from both sides, of course.  I cut it plenty thick, and then planed the pieces down to 1/4″ thick.

I guess I neglected to get any pictures of the raw cut pieces, but here are some of gluing them all together.  The short piece at the top is some old cedar or redwood the a friend gave me.  (Yo, Chris!)  He said it was salvaged from a river bottom after being sunk for 150 years.  After smelling it, I believe him.  😀

https://i2.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-39.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-40.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-41.jpg

 

After gluing all 4 pieces together, I mark it to cut it to it’s final shape:

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-42.jpg

 

Then cut it so it fits inside the body:

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-43.jpg

 

https://i2.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-44.jpg

 

Now the locations of the soundholes are determined, and pilot holes are drilled.  I also made the grooves at the locations of the bridge braces, which will be used for adjusting said braces:

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-45.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-46.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-47.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-48.jpg

 

The rosettes.  Turns out they weren’t glued in to the old HD, so they just popped out.  That was nice.  🙂

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-49.jpg

 

I used a hole saw so cut the sound holes:

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-50.jpg

 

And this is why I hate hole saws:

https://i2.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-51.jpg

 

It’s also why I drilled from the bottom of the soundboard.  So no one will see mistakes like that.  😀

After the holes are drilled, the side edges have a bevel planed on to them, which will hold the saddles, then the top is sanded smooth, and a coat of sealer is applied:

https://i1.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-52.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-53.jpg

 

After the sealer is dry, the soundboard is sprayed with a few coats of black lacquer.  Here’s the first coat:

 

https://i0.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-54.jpg

 

When the first coat is dry, some dirt is removed, and other defects sanded, then a couple more coats are sprayed.  Here’s the last coat of black:

https://i2.wp.com/www.pattonblades.com/120212-55.jpg

 

Then several coats of clear go on.

To be continued…

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s